Pilot Experience Sim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
jrd210

Maule M7-235 performance Empty Maule M7-235 performance

Sat 8 Apr - 13:05
Having owned a brand new 1979 Maule M7-235 and been down to the factory and met Mr Belford Maule, then putting 800 hours all over N America on it I do have a couple of comments.
I am so happy to see one in MSFS,  the color choices do look different form the original maules, I could be wrong but red/white, blue/white were the most common I remember seeing.
In MSFS2020 the performance states 128 KTAS OK about right but then it has 20,000' as max altitude, dream on, maybe 15,000  and endurance 3 hours with range of 876nms??? 3 hours at 128KTAS just does not add up and standard tanks gave up to 3.2 hours at cruise and say at 130KTAS that gave under400 NM range with some reserve.

Then I tried Mr. Maule's famous take off method which I did use on my own plane. Brakes on, full throttle, release brakes, push forward stick until tail up then as ASI moves go from starting partial flap position (forget to put that in) to full flaps as you pull back on stick, --this gets you into the air so a little forward stick and ease flaps to zero then gets a safe AS and establish maximum rate climb.  This was scary first few times but worked for amazing short take-offs.

Maule claimed 175mph, no way it made that, maybe 150mph, but it did get off the ground very fast when light, I did airshows with it using Mr. Maule's technique. However when in MSFS I tried to gain a few feet of altitude on short finals with full flaps, near the stall speed and it crashed. Now one thing the M7-235 did well was climb even when loaded. With full flaps on you could add power on landing approach and get a safe climb. Once on a aircafrt search I turned into a blind canyon, on purpose (we needed to look there) and then with 3 people on board slowed the  plane with full flaps and added full power to do a turn back out. In the turn I gained 500' at 7000'ASL (in summer). Thus the MSFS plane is just not up to what the real plane could do but MSFS has put weird claims of performance in the specs

I love your panel, and the sounds of the Lycoming O-235 . And I loved this real plane, it got me well into the Canadian Arctic and got out of some nasty soft field landings and take-offs on snow covered lakes. Thanks for attempting the older Maule and maybe we'll see some mods??
Kem_Admin
Kem_Admin
Admin
https://pilot-experience-sim.forumactif.com

Maule M7-235 performance Empty Re: Maule M7-235 performance

Sat 8 Apr - 13:33
Hello,
Thanks for the message.
We've done an update 1.0.1 for Inibuilds / Simmarket (future) users updating CG limit and stations locations for more accuracy.
The update for Market place users will com a little bit later

Kind regards
jrd210

Sat 8 Apr - 16:05
I forgot to add that Belford Maule's take off method, crashed the plane in your version, indicating lack of power with full flaps i.e. maybe lack of power overall on the engine. I hope that another mod also looks at that. Keep up the good work. The real plane has more get up and go than the MSFS2020 model at present.
Kem_Admin
Kem_Admin
Admin

Sat 8 Apr - 17:06
Can you tell me where you bought the plane and if you have done the update 1.0.1.
jrd210

Sat 8 Apr - 18:15
No have not done the latest update, bought it on msfs2020 within the program, I promise to take a look, do the update and fly the plane later, battling Covid at present so it will be pleasant relief to fly the Maule later. I will fly it at some if my old real world strips and that will be an acid test. John
Kem_Admin
Kem_Admin
Admin

Sat 8 Apr - 18:52
Like you can see on this post , Microsoft updates can be available few weeks later that on our system.
https://pilot-experience-sim.forumactif.com/t134-maule-m7-235-msfs-online-updates-flow

Your feedback remain important so after verified by real Maule Pilots / instructor testers we can upgrade it

Kind regards
jrd210

Sat 8 Apr - 20:36
Have to correct my own mistakes first, my model was an M5-235 carbureted O-540 lycoming , not as the model in MSFS the M7-235, differences in later models should be improvements though, I hope to get the new update although I purchased it through MSFS direct so might delay me accessing the update.

Kem_Admin likes this post

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum